Updated: Jun 30
Want to know the best foods to help detoxify and clear excess hormones?
Diindolylmethane aids oestrogen metabolism in the body. This means it helps the liver clear hormones efficiently, rather than having them reabsorbed back into the bloodstream which can cause a bunch of nasty side effects.
When there is oestrogen excess in the body it can lead to acne, mood swings, PMS, irregular menstruation, breast tenderness and headaches to name a few..
Introducing your essential oestrogen clearing foods packed full of DIM!
- Brussel sprouts
- Collard greens
- Beetroot & beetroot greens
The more of these vegetables you can get in your diet, the more support you are giving your liver to help clear the hormones.
How many DIM veggies should you have?
In an ideal world 1-2 cups of cooked weight vegetables each day.
In terms of flavour, these vegetables don't need much to upgrade them from a sad side, to the meal highlight. My favourite ideas include:
* Garlic - honestly garlic, and lots of it, brings out the flavour of the vegetable but also privides added microbial properties. If you're sensitive to garlic, try onion and chives
* Herbs including rosemary, thyme, bay leaves
* Spice - chili, your favourite hot sauce or tabasco. This is especially delicious on collard greens or kale. Add in some garlic too for extra punch1
* Nutritional Yeast Flakes - adds a cheesy, nutty flavour. Add just before serving.
* Miso paste - good bacteria alternative to salt or soy sauce
* Simple lemon and mustard
Interested in learning more about how to naturally manage your hormones and symptoms? Book a free consultation on how I can help you today.
Registered Nutritional Therapist
Kelly is a Registered Nutritional Therapist who focuses on positive physical and mental wellbeing, achieved through diet, lifestyle, sleep and exercise. Having struggled for years with IBS and hormonal imbalance, and increasingly frustrated with the lack of support and helpful advice from her GP, Kelly began her own journey of healing the body from the inside out. After seeing huge improvements she quit her job to study nutrition and focus on harnessing the healing powers of food to help other people in similar situations.